So far, it looks like this is a case of tech support actually working.
Two problems had cropped up with U-Verse since it was installed mid-week, and today I wanted to get them fixed. First, my HDTV had brief periods of pixelation. Every 5 to 15 minutes, the connection would freeze, for about a second to two. Worse though, was the internet. I was only getting about 12 to 13 megabits, and am on the 18 megabit plan. Even worse than that, it couldn’t be sustained. Backups of PhoneNews.com averaged four to six megabits… in between the constant connection drops to zero kilobits.
First tier tech support didn’t have a clue. They said all their green lights were green, and that it was my network (blaming having too many computers, using hubs, etc). I cut through that FUD and explained how the first tier rep was wrong on each point. Then, I asked for tier two. About 10 minutes later, tier two support came on the line, and things started becoming clear.
Most of tier two’s initial tests came back clear. But, they ran a signal test, and found that my line was getting too much power. This apparently happened because maintenance ran the new line from the VRAD too short. I live quite close to the VRAD on my street, so this was supposed to be avoided… in other words, maintenance either didn’t get the instructions, or didn’t follow them.
Long story short, tomorrow a U-Verse tech will be out to confirm the diagnosis. Then, they’ll order maintenance out to re-run the line (yes, again) with a longer cable that will avoid the overpowering. Then, I assume U-Verse techs will be back out to re-test the finished new line.
It’s progress, and that’s a lot better than nobody having any idea why my connection isn’t working at the top speed.
Update (5:07 PM): AT&T did not come out in the 10 AM to Noon window that they quoted me. I finally called them (had other things to do, yes, I do have a life). After 32 minutes on the phone (mostly on hold), we got things back on track.
Since I got the number for dispatch directly, I was able to speak their language. As such, I got them to agree to send out both the premise technician and the maintenance technician simultaneously. They usually don’t do that, but since my case got screwed up, I was able to convince them this would take two days… at this point… to finish the job otherwise.
So, it is lousy that they didn’t make the first appointment. Had this been just about any customer than myself, said person would be stuck at home two days in a row, losing two days of work to get this problem fixed.
And, really, there’s no guarantee still I won’t be said person. I’ll keep you up to date when they come out.
Update (6:12 PM): U-Verse premise tech just called me, should be here shortly…
Update (6:24 PM): Premise tech is done and gone. Basically just confirmed the fit on the line was bad, and verified that the ticket for the maintenance tech was in. Should be out before 9 PM… but if not… I get to call in tomorrow. The good news is that they shouldn’t have to enter the house, so I’m not stuck at home even if they have to come out tomorrow.
Update (9:26 PM): The maintenance department didn’t show, so I
get to have to call in at 7:30 AM tomorrow, in order to make sure that they will come out today.
And, in case you haven’t figured it out yet… maintenance can’t verify that the new line will fix the bad fit. So, once they are done, I have to call Tier 2 tech support, have them check the line, and if the fit is still bad… have another premise technician come out, to come up with a new game plan.